#Synthesix Lite FM
Copyright 2018 Laurens Holst
Simple MIDI synthesizer for MSX-MUSIC (YM2413 OPLL) and PSG.
- MSX turbo R
- 128K main RAM
- 16K video RAM
- MSX-DOS 2
Run SyntheFM from MSX-DOS 2.
/b Enter blackout mode during playback.
This setting makes the screen go black during playback. For machines with a
lot of VDP interference on the audio output, this may reduce the amount of
#MIDI channel assignment
- Channel 1: FM basic channel
- Channels 1-9: FM voices
- Channels 7-11: FM rhythm voices (if enabled)
- Channel 12: PSG basic channel
- Channels 12-14: PSG tones
- Channel 15: PSG noise
- Channel 16: PSG envelope
All channels are monophonic.
#MIDI controller assignment
All channels respond to:
- Velocity, CC 7, CC 11: Level
- CC 64: Key hold (sustain)
Overlap the notes to play legato.
FM Voice channels 1-9 respond to:
- Program change:
- Synthesizer Bass
- Acoustic Bass
- Electric Guitar
- Key-off velocity (< 63: FM sustain, ≥ 64: no FM sustain)
FM Basic channel 1 responds to:
- CC 16: Carrier Multiplier
- CC 19: Carrier Level Key Scale
- CC 20: Carrier EG Attack
- CC 21: Carrier EG Decay
- CC 22: Carrier EG Sustain
- CC 23: Carrier EG Release
- CC 24: Modulator Multiplier
- CC 25: Modulator Level
- CC 26: Modulator Feedback
- CC 27: Modulator Level Key Scale
- CC 28: Modulator EG Attack
- CC 29: Modulator EG Decay
- CC 30: Modulator EG Sustain
- CC 31: Modulator EG Release
- CC 80: Carrier LFO Amplitude (≥ 64: on)
- CC 81: Carrier LFO Pitch (≥ 64: on)
- CC 82: Carrier EG Mode (< 64: percussive, ≥ 64: sustained (default))
- CC 83: Carrier EG Rate Key Scale (≥ 64: on)
- CC 84: Carrier PG Waveform (< 64: sine, ≥ 64: rectified half sine)
- CC 88: Modulator LFO Amplitude (≥ 64: on)
- CC 89: Modulator LFO Pitch (≥ 64: on)
- CC 90: Modulator EG Mode (< 64: percussive, ≥ 64: sustained (default))
- CC 91: Modulator EG Rate Key Scale (≥ 64: on)
- CC 92: Modulator PG Waveform (< 64: sine, ≥ 64: rectified half sine)
Synthesix Lite FM is free and open source software. If you want to contribute
to the project you are very welcome to. Please contact me at any one of the
places mentioned in the project information section.
You are also free to re-use code for your own projects, provided you abide by
the license terms.
Synthesix Lite FM depends on the library project Neonlib; it is recommended
to clone the project with Mercurial so they will automatically be pulled in
at the correct version, otherwise you have to download them manually:
hg clone https://hg.sr.ht/~grauw/synthesix-lite-fm
Building the project is easy on all modern desktop platforms. On MacOS and
Linux, simply invoke
make to build the binary and symbol files into the
Windows users can open the
Makefile and build by pasting the line in the
target into the Windows command prompt.
To launch the build in openMSX after building, put a copy of
COMMAND2.COM and in the
bin directory, and invoke the
make run command.
Note that the glass assembler which is
embedded in the project requires Java 8. To check
your Java version, invoke the
java -version command.